The Beatles Cavern footage.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER USED. YOU CANNOT POST IN IT.
WE HAVE RETAINED IT AS A PERMANENT ARCHIVE.
FOR OUR LATEST FORUM, PLEASE VISIT
http://www.liverpoolbeat.com/rocknroll/forums/

The Beatles Cavern footage.

Postby beathead » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:39 am

Wow just been looking at this footage.OK, heres where I am confused ,the Granada footage was from August 22 1962 The Beatles last appearance at the club was August 3 1963, the footage wasnt shown until 6 November 1963, I first saw it on Kenny Everetts Nice Time programme around 1969 or '70,but heres the confusion I have a CD with The Beatles performing KANSAS CITY 1:11 secs and SOME OTHER GUY 2:12 secs, but the sound quality on these is far superior to the Granada one and the audience is there, even John Lennon says at the end of SOME OTHER GUY '' I think we'll have to do that one again !'' Where does this recording originate from ? Is it anything to do with Granada ? The recording dates from September 5 1962 ?
beathead

Music Interest: The BEATLES,GERRY, SEARCHERS, STONES etc;
Bands or Music Affiliation: none

Re: The Beatles Cavern footage.

Postby glennon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:55 pm

if it the DVD is the same one I have the sound is a fake, made up of the Cavern club film from 22 Aug 62 Granada footage and studio and Concert out takes can you post a photo of the cover as there are vareious versions of this around.
The Cavernites Beatles/Sixties tribute Band
www.thecavernites.com
www.facebook.com/thecavernites
glennon

Your Real Name: Glenn Mitchell
Music Interest: Early Mersey Beat, Liverpool Bands, Brit pop 1960's
Bands or Music Affiliation: Member of The Cavernites Sixties Tribute Band

Re: The Beatles Cavern footage.

Postby DTR » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:48 pm

It is actually another Granada recording made, as you say, on 5 September 1962 (the day after they'd recorded the original single version of Love Me Do at Abbey Road in London).

Unhappy with the sound of the film soundtrack, Granada sent an engineer named Gordon J. Butler to record the performance that night at the Cavern with a proper set up. This he did, but only the two songs survive - Some Other Guy and Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!

Acetate copies of these two songs were apparently sold at NEMS for sixpence, but this has never been proven beyond doubt. The recordings you have are from an acetate, but one that was pressed at Granada at the time and later sold at auction in the 1980s.

Hope this helps.

DTR
DTR

Music Interest: Mersey Beat / R n R / R n B / Rockabilly
Bands or Music Affiliation: None

Return to The Fab Forum